According to a 1936 Citrus Co. Chronicle article, J.K. Kelley was a County Commissioner (when Citrus and Hernando were one county), and a school board member. He was also a mason, and an elder in the First Presbyterian Church, where his wife was a charter member. He served on the Inverness City Council from 1923 to 1927. Mr. Kelley is best remembered for management of a turpentine still located at the southern end of town. The vast acreage of pine forests in Citrus County made it ideal for the turpentine industry. Pinesap was collected at the base of the tree, distilled, and stored in barrels for shipment. In the 1890s, a barrel of turpentine brought around $3.00, and was an important ingredient in varnish, paint, soap, explosives, ointments and even medications. Prisoners were leased from the State as laborers in some stills. For a period of time, Mrs. Kelley operated "The Palm Rest Tourist Home" here, which was probably when the sunrooms were added on the east side of the second floor for more space.