Utility Services

*Attention | March-April 2023*

The City of Inverness recently upgraded its financial system which impacted our water, sewer and sanitation utility billing process, preventing the creation of invoices and viewing account balances online. This delay has been resolved and invoices for utility accounts have been mailed to customers during this week. We have suspended late fees for the month of March and April to provide utility customers with time to receive and subsequently pay the balances due.

 To assist in this effort, the City will be posting detailed instruction to access customer accounts on our website with registering and viewing customer utility balances, and,  making payments. We apologize for any inconvenience that may have been caused by our system upgrade. If you should have any questions or need assistance with access to your utility account please call us at 352-726-5016.

Navigating your Online Bill


Not all areas within the City limits are connected to the water/sewer system and conversely, there are areas outside the City limits that receive City water. The Water & Sewer section provides information and methods to set-up, modify or cancel services, as well as rates, how to conserve, landscaping watering rules and much, much more.

While the City of Inverness is fortunate to be located on a generous aquifer with fresh springs providing millions of gallons of water per minute, protection of these natural resources is key to the future vision of Inverness. With the assistance of state and regional support, in May of 2010, the City proudly unveiled upgrades to the wastewater plant. Renamed the Water Reclamation Facility, the operation can transform one million gallons of waste water each day to a product suitable for irrigation purposes.

Let's Talk Service

  • To establish water and sewer service or to obtain answers on a water and sewer bill, contact the Finance Department via email or by dialing (352) 726-5016.
  • Questions concerning water quality, a leak or meter issues can be solved by contacting the Public Works Department at (352) 726-2321 Monday through Friday, 8am-5pm. If it is an Emergency and offices are closed, dial 352-201-1764.
  • If you are developing a parcel of land, contact the Community Development Services at (352) 726-3401 to assist with water/sewer line location and any building considerations.
  • If you have a research request for lien payoffs please review our form.

In order for the City to provide the best service possible, the following forms are used to maintain your account.

Water/Sewer Contract: Used to establish an account for water and/or sewer services. 

Water/Sewer Cancellation Form: For tenants to discontinue water and/or sewer services or for owners to shut off water and be billed monthly availability fees complete and return this form to the Finance office; else complete the Online version. 

Change of Address Form: To change the billing address for water and/or sewer services, submit this document to the Finance office. An Online version is also available.

Direct Debit Form: Allows automatic deduction of monthly utility bills from a savings or checking account.